Thursday, October 20, 2011

Carnival Impressions

Wow!

Now THAT was really something very special to experience on Saturday night. In spite of the difficulty with the wind earlier, it turned out to be a lovely evening--with the clouds shrouding the moon from time to time--making for a mysterious overtone to the event.-so I parked my car and walked up the dark path in the direction of the house...

AND THEN....

The colored strings of lights, the sound of rippling laughter, a tall stone tower illuminated from within by a small cooking fire!!!--I took it all in with wide eyes and with the sense that I had just entered another world, or at least, somehow gotten myself onto another plane of existence on this planet! As I took in all the sights and sounds , I didn't notice the backyard with the embedded rocks and long pools filled with water right away--and when I did, Zowie! Another gasp!

The shadow puppets were so expertly made; and the characters in the skit were funny, clever, and lovely. (Heather, as the Bearded Lady was a superstar. Perfect role for her!) Finally, with the skit over--the grand finale with the dancing girls in the lam'e skirts and those TERRIFIC hats and cone-shaped bras--fabulous--I thought, "Well, I'm tired...I think I'll call it a night..." and I was about to go when suddenly you grabbed my hand and said, "Stay for the fire-dancers!" OKAY!! I was definitely up for THAT, and I'm so glad I stayed--the space with the reflecting pools and the different levels of rock and grass and pathways was nothing short of SPECTACULAR!

-J.Erickson